Colby on Instagram
We're always interested in photos of Colby alumni, and Instagram presents a new way for you to share photos with the entire Colby community. Instagram is a mobile photo taking, editing, and sharing application available for iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPods) and Android-powered phones, cameras, and other devices. It has become the most popular mobile photo platform largely because of its extensive library of easy-to-use artistic filters that can be applied to photos. When you install and register Instagram on your device, all photos taken through Instagram are automatically uploaded to your Instagram account on the Web. The application can also be configured to automatically share your photos to other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
Hashtags are a convention originally created by users in the early days of Twitter to make it easier to discover and organize tweets around specific topics. For example, if you include #ColbyCollege in a tweet, it is easy for others interested in Colby to find your tweet. When you write captions for your Instagram photos, you can include relevant hashtags to make your photos more findable. Colby promotes and monitors specific hashtags on Instagram in order to identify photos of interest to our community. We keep an eye open for photos that use these hashtags, and when we see yours we may share it with others through Colby's Facebook and Twitter pages.
If you would like to share your photos with the Colby community, use one of the following:
- #ColbyCollege: general photos of Colby campus, people, events, and/or stuff
- #ColbyOffTheHill: photos of Colby people, items, etc. away from Mayflower Hill
- #ColbySkies: photos of the beautiful, dramatic, ominous, breathtaking skies over campus
- #ColbyHome: photos from Family Homecoming Weekend
- #Back2Colby: photos from reunion weekend
- #Ready4Colby: photos of preparations to return (and returning) to Colby for a new school year
- #Colby200: bicentennially-related photos, including those from regional bicentennial events.